2010 in Review
Greetings everybody!
Well it is now mid-January and our “New Year’s” cards have finally been printed. Don’t be surprised if years from now you start receiving cards from us in July! There just aren’t enough hours in the day. *And I do realize that the cards said "Happy New Year 2010"...which seems wrong since it is now 2011...but I'm going with the fact that the picture was taken in 2010, and this letter is for 2010 :-)* So here is our annual letter, although since it’s posted on the blog I won’t go into too much detail…pictures are worth a thousand words and there are lots of pics on here! Basically, life is good :-) We could probably complain, but why bother? And honestly, who has the energy. The kids keep us on our toes, and we have already had to curtail many of our activities due to the demands that these little blessings put on us! They are healthy, they are happy (most of the time), and they are….challenging. But nothing good comes easy so bring it on!
Elyse is in Kindergarten this year and loves it so much! There are mornings that she doesn’t want to get out of bed but as soon as she rounds the corner of the school building, she throws me a kiss as she’s running toward her friends and into her class. She is learning to read (very well actually) and her writing is coming along. Being a leftie poses some challenges but she’s doing great. There have been several snow days so consistency was an issue for while there. But she has enjoyed the 2 snow delays so far this year since that means she gets to go with the all-day kids and stay til 3:30. She thinks she’s pretty cool :-)
Bryanna is such a chatterbox. Affectionately known as “Bean” around here, she is so smart. And a great eater! She can out eat her brother and is on her way to out-eating Elyse as well! When she’s not sleeping, she is either talking or singing (hmm…I wonder where she gets those characteristics?) and will repeat anything you say. She is such a happy kid, and flashing that gigantic toothy smile about 95% of the time. However, there is that 5% of the time when she unleashes the beast, and that biggest loudest temper is unveiled…look out!
Oh Josh, our monkey. We got rid of the baby gates since they no longer held him in, and we lowered his crib rail since that didn’t hold him in either. The boy climbs everything! One of his favorite hobbies is to stand in the middle of the kitchen table (yes, ON the table) and dance. He has become very chatty also…although none of us can understand a word he says. Except probably Bean, must be that twin thing. She loves to tattle on him too which is very funny – since he is always getting into something! My fondest 2010 memory of him is when he opened up the fridge (without my knowledge) and dumped a pitcher of red koolaid on the kitchen floor…it looked like someone had been murdered!
Jason is into his 12th year with the patrol and still on afternoon shift. He has had a few shots at days but this shift works really well for us right now. That will probably change once Elyse is in school all day but for now, it’s good. He got a chance to go hunting in November and came home with a good-sized 5point so now we have a freezer full! He really enjoyed his time with the guys. But probably his biggest accomplishment in 2010 was that he finally achieved his dream…of having a garage :-) Thanks to good friends with know-how (especially Trooper Brillhart) we now have a beautiful garage!! We haven’t had to scrape our cars once this winter and THAT is wonderful! I’m sure I won’t see much of him come springtime…
I have had one heck of a year physically. I have had some back problems since spring but developed into a herniated disc and that has really been a huge bummer. Have done some treatments & therapies, and injections and right now we’re “waiting it out.” I believe I played about 2 games of volleyball the whole season and I’m hoping to make it back although I’m not counting on it. I’m still singing at church occasionally and had the special opportunity to direct the Kidz Khoir for the Christmas program. That was very fun, although I’m glad it’s only about 5 weeks a year because 40+ kids K-8 really have a lot of energy! Our little theatre production company we started is still afloat and we’re looking at this year to put on a few more productions. In the fall we did a musical review called “Reflections on Broadway” and I finally got to perform for the first time in years, that felt good! (http://www.stagedrightproductionsinc.mfbiz.com/ )
But what really feels good is that our little family was nominated & selected to be the spokesfamily for the Hickman Cancer Center at Flower Hospital this year. Honestly it has been really hard being in the "spotlight" (shocking since I'm a theatre person, ha ha)...we are so honored to be part of a great program yet I'm drained from just making it til lunch each day! I mean, we are POSITIVE that this is a God-given opportunity. Jason has been able to share not only his survivor story but his CHRISTIAN TESTIMONY with probably at least 300 complete strangers so far - pretty awesome! J is not a public speaker by any means, but he says "God asked me, so I said yes" :-) Anyway because of this we have been asked to be the "chairpersons" for a new event to take place this fall at Flower Hospital. ALL of the proceeds (100%) will go toward the new Survivorship Program that they are starting which is so cool! So we’ve had to say “no” to some other things and really cut back in order to make room, but what an awesome opportunity!
So that’s 2010 in a nutshell…crazy as ever (in more ways than one) but blessed beyond measure. Jason & I celebrated TEN YEARS of marriage in November and what a ride it has been. Definitely not a Merry-Go-Round…more like the Wicked Twister or Top Thrill Dragster J We hope you all had a great 2010 and here’s to an even greater 2011!!
God bless you & your families,
Jason, Kate, Elyse, Bryanna, Joshua, AND Chief!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home